Wednesday, November 23, 2005

The Mitten

One of my favorite authors is Jan Brett. Not only does she write (and translate) great childrens stories but the art in her books is absolutely wonderful! A favorite book is The Mitten. It's about a little boy who requests white mittens from his grandmother. Not only does she knit the mittens for him, but she also spun the wool for them. The little boy (in the ways of little boys) loses one of his mittens while outside playing. From there a great adventure begins for the mitten.

Anyway....

I had this idea. Yes, this can be a rather dangerous thing for me but it does happen that I get ideas quite often. See my SIL and her family are moving to Kansas City, Kansas in a couple of weeks and my nephew who is just 6 years old is a bit anxious about this move. After all it is getting really close to Christmas!

So the idea (yes, I'm getting to it!!) is to knit a pair of mittens and send them with the book to him at his new address in KC. In the package I'll include a note from one of Santa's head elves saying that we're aware of the address change and for him not to fret that we always look out for good boys and girls. So, the book is on order because our Borders just happens to be out of stock on this one. I even have some holiday stationary that I haven't used so it can't be connected to me. And the mittens are fini! See. The green bow is yarn I use to tie them together so they don't get seperated. I just love surprises!!



Now I need to do a bit of research so the package won't be postmarked here. Any ideas out there? Anyone?

Oh and for those of you keeping track, the handwarmers do have thumbs and have been given away. New mittens are now on the needles.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm . . . go to another post office, in another county?

Ruth said...

What a nice idea! Your nephew (and sister) will love it. That's always been one of my children's favorite books ... my youngest has asked for white mittens this year.

Could you ship the package to a friend out of state, and have them mail it? You might also ask the post office if they have a "North Pole" cancellation mark ... for some reason, I think that they do. But that could just be wishful thinking on my part.

Genia said...

I'm hoping that the Post Office has some sort of "stamp" that I can use for this package. Otherwise I may just be taking my changes and mailing it from one of the Annapolis offices.