Tuesday, November 01, 2005

A Farewell

Allow me to rant a bit here. For those looking for knit content, come back later. I'm really angry about something and just need to rant.

This was Catherine Thomas. Her family laid her to rest yesterday. Yes, Halloween when all thoughts should have been on tricks, treats, dressing up and other such nonsense the community of Herald Harbor was listening to a preacher trying to tell us that Catherine wouldn't have wanted us to cry but would want us to know that her life was full of meaning, and that now she is in a better place. (And no Rev, if Catherine were here watching us she wouldn't say anything, we would not be in the church. We would be at work, school, doing what we do on Monday mornings. )

pftttttt!

Catherine was 17 years old. She was a friend of both my daughter and son. She would have graduated from High School this coming June with my son and cousin. She was a loving daughter, caring sister, hard worker and a great friend -- just ask those who attended the funeral. BUT, her death was avoidable. She was going out with friends and the boy (don't even sit there reading this and try to tell me he was a man just because he was over 18 years) who was driving was going way too fast for the road they were traveling on and wrapped the car around a tree. Some thing that struck me as rather scary was one of her sisters was the car behind them and saw the accident happen.....so she was driving just as fast or as near to as he was.

Now one of the reasons for my rant is this is not the first time this tragedy has happened in our little neighborhood. Not even the first time time this year. It seems the kids in our neighborhood are so angry that once they're given "the keys" they go flying (literally) away never to come back. Our community is small and no there really isn't anything to do here so the kids sit around and complain of boredom. Never thinking of ways to stop the boredom other then by random acts of destruction or crime. And the "elders" in the community sit behind their locked doors wringing their hands fretting over the acts of these kids.

Has our society become so hurried and self-absorbed that instead of giving our kids a way to do for themselves and helping them; we just give them the answers and be done with them?

So, now I'm stepping off my soap box. And no, the tree didn't survive either.

Side note: There were 4 people in the car that was wrapped around the tree that night. One was Catherine's sister. She will going back and forth to the hospital for reconstructive surgery. Another boy in the vehicle is still in hospital but is now out of Intensive Care. The driver, he was treated for minor injuries and released that night.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How terrible that the world lost a little of what made it a good place. Is there anything we can do for her sister and her family?

Genia said...

I've still to get back in touch with Catherine's parents. There is supposed to be some schedule of when Victoria will be going back for surgery (half her face is crushed from the accident) and Elaine/Mom still has a baby at home.

I'm hoping to start something here in community to get the kids out of the park (where they sit and stew all day and night) and out to maybe find jobs or even to return to school. This will definately be an uphill battle.

Being as this whole issue is very close to me (not just because I have teenagers but because my cousins are teenagers too) I'm sure I'll be posting more about in the coming months.

Thanks for reading. Sorry it's so raw.

Lola said...

Gee . . . that's just so horrible! I know I'd be feeling the same way were I in your place.

Lola said...

As for the driver, has he been charged for speeding? Will there be additional charges filed?

Gewel said...

Her poor family...

Dani In NC said...

I'm just catching up on my blog reading. Genia, I admire you for being able to use this format to let go of those raw feelings instead of keeping them inside. I intended to do the same thing with my blog, but somehow I freeze up whenever I get in front of the computer. Your way is much more therapeutic.

I also admire you for taking the next step and becoming part of the solution in your community. It would be so easy to try over the tragedy and let it end there (at least until the next one). Even if you can't get the community behind you on this, you honor your friend's memory by trying.