Sunday, February 13, 2005

la la la la la la

Don't you hate it when you get a tune stuck in your head, and it just won't leave? Today I have the theme song from the Smurfs stuck thanks to my little guy singing it all morning. He's started watching it in the mornings. Blast those little blue people.

One more time. My first entry today was lost forever by the computer.

I have a couple of things to share with you all today. One is a magazine review, one is a shop opening, and one is a yarn brag.

The magazine du jour is the Spring 2005 issue of Interweave Knits. I really love this magazine and this issue has a lot of really interesting stuff. Of course I don’t expect you to take my word for it, go check it out for yourself.

I’m working on a top from this issue. No, I’m not using the recommended yarn it’s not in my stash. The yarn I am using is Elsebeth Lavold Silky Tweed. This is a great yarn and I’ve been looking for a pattern that suited me without having to sit down and crunch the numbers myself. The gauge of the Silky Tweed fits perfectly and I’m on my way to a new Spring/Fall top….might even finish in time for Easter. I’ll keep you posted.

Oh, the top is Wear-Everywhere Pullover by Lana Hames. And it’s knit without seams! YEAH!!

Other doable patterns are:

1) Fitted Dolman by Annie Modesitt. You gotta love this woman’s work. She’s brilliant in my opinion.
2) Galway Guy by Deborah Newton (does the model come with? Definitely not an eyestrain there!)
3) Cable-Eight Top by Joyce Wu. This top is done in Pakucho Organic Peruvian Cotton of which there is also an interesting article about. Apparently this cotton plant was almost extinct and is now making it’s glorious comeback. If I get my mitts on some I’ll let you know how it is.

There is an article about the brioche stitch, which is something I would love to learn. I’m not sure about the top presented but the style is most appealing. Maybe I can get Lorraine to teach a Saturday workshop on this technique.

There are two patterns in this issue that seriously need to be “put on the shelf” already! Ponchos and caplets are OVER! Done. Fini! Overdone. Stop wasting paper. And a knitted skirt? Please!

Onward…..

The most brilliant Maria has opened another yarn, this time in Georgetown. This is a really smart move because very soon our fair city will be swarming with tourists for the annual Cherry blossom Festivities. In fact the Cherry Blossom Parade kicks off the tourist season for Washington DC. The new shop’s address is:

Stitch DC
1071 Wisconsin Ave NW, Washington, DC 20007
telephone: 202-333-KNIT

Hours for both shops are Monday-Friday 11 am - 7 pm: Saturday: 11am -7pm:Sunday: Noon to 5 pm Not to cause any confusion – They are OPEN seven days a week including SUNDAY!

Stitch DC
731 8th St Street SE, Washington, DC 20003
telephone: 202-544-8900

This is in Georgetown, and however now accessible by Metro but you can take the Metro and then a bus to get there. Note here: The DC Bus service is pretty reliable even on the weekends.

The Yarn, because this is what it’s all about…..

This past week in the Shop one of my favorite ladies brought in her yarn from her own sheep. It is a truly wonderful yarn with a lovely sheen and the yardage runs between 240 – 250 yards. It’s undyed, it’s not scratchy and damn it it’s going quick. For the time being we’re calling it “Judy’s Yarn” cause she hasn’t given it a name. So if you want to check it out as well, get down there now. You won’t be sorry. Judy will be bringing in more as she gets it back from the Mill.

No, I can’t post a photo cause I haven’t figured that out yet. Hey, look at the side bar. I figured out how to add a couple of buttons.

Now leave. Go knit something wonderful!

No comments: