Sunday, December 10, 2006

A Great Weekend

A Jacob from Dancing Leaf Farms

I spent Saturday doing the Countryside Artists Studio Tour here in Maryland. Some 14 artists open up their studios for tours, goodies, hot cider, and shopping fun. You do the driving and go to whichever studio suits your purpose. They only open their studios a couple times a year and it's just for the weekend but the countryside is beautiful and I was in good company! Here are the studios we went to:

Sugarloaf Mountain Vineyard (yes, vineyard as in wine tasting! and chocolate too!!) I bought a very lovely bottle of Chardonnay there. They also make red. All very good. New vineyard too!

Seneca Creek Joinery = beautiful hand turned wood items. And lovely little mini long haired dachshund named Kitty. They served a wonderful cuppa cider too!

PlumStuff - They were a unique furniture place done in tiles with iron legs. Also she had some lovely glass bead jewelry. And a young lady who's information I didn't get who greeted you outside the studio with very happy looking dinnerware.

Morningstar Studio - Tina Brown is brilliant with a paint brush! You've got to go see her work.!

Morningstar Studio isn't it lovely!

Lahara Textile Gallery - Another brilliant place. This is a small shop that leases out space to work your fibery wares. They also have classes. And of course sell their wares. I scored some beautiful alpaca (Rainbow Pacas) Sport weight-2ply 320 yards at a price that would you make you wish you were with me!

Lindenwood Farmgoods - Beautiful setting.

Kiparoo Farm - No, I didn't get enough of Annie during the MDS&W Festival. And yes, I bought more yarn there and some lovely soap. And no I don't have any pictures to post cause it was really really really dark by the time we got to her studio. And I'll post pic of my goodies later this week.

Dancing Pig Pottery - Really nice pottery! If it weren't quite so heavy I would now have the coolest looking coffee mug with a dragon most gracefully wrapped around it. And the art work was really unique.

Dancing Leaf Farm - Yes, I know I can see her work at the MDS&W but her studio has always been spoken of fondly by fellow knitters so I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to see it and Tasman.
These are my traveling companions for the day. Kari (from Seattle, Wa) and Alana. This was taken at Dancing Leaf Farms. There besides scoring some lovely yarns, cards and jewelry we also got a Shepard's Bag Lunch. Very yummy and perfect for being on the go!

Here's the three of us with the famed Tasman. He was really more interested in our lunch.

The Blacksmith Shop - You know a true blacksmith is rapidly becoming an art of the past but this one still has a forge. And it was HOT! Truly worth the drive to see it. Bill Allen was also sharing his studio with two neighbors; one who had some beautiful wooden cutting boards and boasts that all his work is done from trees that already fallen (No trees harmed) and a lady who wove baskets using old saddle parts and bridle bits. Very neat to see.

Art of Fire - Was a HUGE glass workshop. And possibly the warmest stop of the whole day. They also give classes. I've always thought about taking a glass working class. Now I know where to go!

Alden Farms - Very unique type lawn ornaments and garden items. They also have a garden shop that's open in the spring. I look forward to a return visit there.

Most all of the studios were converted barns or sheds. And all were filled with curious shoppers and fiberholics of all walks. The weather was absolutely beautiful which was really good cause driving for the first time on some of those country roads can be tricky business! Pics of my goodies will come later this week. But I leave you with Tasman's buddy. We never did get his name but he was a very sweet guy!

1 comment:

Nik said...

I wish that I could purchase something from that pottery shop. I've recently become very interested in pottery. I'm amazed that people can make such beautiful things.