Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Knitting, knitting, and yes folks MORE knitting

The weather here is cold, windy, and rather wet so what's a grrl to do? Knit of course! A raging case of startitis. But I have finished some things and even recently joined a Knit-a-long. The knit-a-long is for mittens. Check it out over at Sandy's Place. And she's a few very cute buttons as well. Since I love to knit mittens and hand warmers I thought it would be a fun join. Plus I've already finished one mitten!

On the kneedles now are some gifts. One is a helmet liner in hunter's orange for a favorite uncle who has a birthday coming up. This should come in handy as he'll be headed to Montana with his son and my brother for fun in the mountains on horseback (or possibly muleback.) We're also knitting these liners to send to our troops overseas. They're fast, easy, and you'll be helping our people over there. We were told at the shop that the troops were supplied with liners only they were acrylic and red (WHOA!!! wouldn't it have been easier to put a bulleye's on them?) So go to the link, knit up a couple in wool and a nice dark color like black and send them. Or you can bring them around to the shop. We have a customer who will be delivering them personally. Here's another link for the liners as well.

Another gift is the Irish Hiking Scarf. Lots of beautiful cables! I love the Hello Yarn website as well. It's well thought out and very clever! While you're there check out the yarns too. Totally yummy! The scarf is going along quickly so I may just knit up a bunch more for gifts.

Another thing on the kneedles (never to be accused of not having enough projects!!) is one of the skirts from Color by Sally Melville. As it happens I even doing it in the same color as the one in her book using Manos del Uruguay. This yarn is really wonderful to work with.

I've finished the leg warmers for my cousin, CJ. She's taking a ballet class and the class is held in a lovely old church basement. So she requested a pair of leg warmers that would come up over her knees and would be easy to care for (hey!! she's only 13 years old) so I've knit them out of Wool-Ease. So they should stand up to some abuse and still look good. I've written out the pattern so if you're interested, drop me a line and I'll send it along to you. Mind that I'm the only one who's knitted from this pattern so it's not be tested -- you'll be the tester.



This is sorta knit related but not exactly. Sunday here just happened to be a beautiful day. Which was good because it was also the date of the annual Knit Out, Crochet Too in Washington, DC. So being the fiberhound that I am I went. DH and the Wyldman came along as well not to go to the Knit Out but to go to the National Museum of the American Indian. This museum is absolutely beautiful! From the building itself to it's exhibits, everything was really well thought out and presented in a way that everyone could get something from it -- even those who just look and go. I spent some time at the Knit Out, and then ran to meet the guys at the museum. This was my second time at the museum and I still haven't seen everything. I do plan on doing some of my holiday shopping there (there are two gift shops with some totally amazing things!)
So if you're in DC, it really is a good stop to make but plan on spending a lot of time there. Here's a pic of one of our favorite items.


Doesn't everyone want a pair? These are beaded high tops. Beaded as in seed beads (#10's I believe) and the handwork is amazing. The top is a woman/girl holding an umbrella and the bottom is a man in full dress dancing.

No comments: