Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Real Life Knitting!!`


This is a "knit blog" after all. But first, here's a photo of what we've been dealing with for the past couple of days.

So last week we had these really incredibly hot days (my kitchen was 93 degrees F) then Friday it decides to rain. The weatherperson called it a tropical depression -- Ernesto to be exact. Came to visit from the Florida area. With the storm we lost all power. So what does any sane knitter (hmmm, is there such a thing as a sane knitter?) do when power is lost? Cast on socks. Hold on to yours, here's some proof that I have been knitting.



These are Regia 4Fadig in all their stripy goodness. Done on size 0 needles with a cast on of 72 stitches and traditional type heel flap. These will go to Socks for Soldiers.



These are the official start of holiday knitting and intended for a special young lady in my family. They are done with Fortissima Colori 1000 on size 1 needles with a provisional cast on (with crocheted chain) with 64 stitches and again traditional heel flap, just not as deep. These girls don't have much of an arch to their feet.

I'll finish off both socks with a star toe down to 8 stitches and then kitchener the rest. Myla has said that the socks are more comfortable that way.

Also, I was asked to knit a sweater for friend. So here's a pic of the progress as of last Thursday. I can knit socks in the dark, but not ganseys.



This is being done in a cotton wool blend from Cestari (spelled?) Farms. The pattern is partly my own, learned from the fabulous Beth Brown Reinsel and her book Knitting Ganseys. It's a green heather color and the size is probably between 12 and 18 months. I've put a button placket on the shoulder just to make dressing a bit easier. Also, I love buttons and am always looking for ways to use them.

So folks, I'm off to finish a sock and cast on for it's mate. Speaking of mates, I for one am going to miss "The Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin."

And because it is after all my blog, here's a pic of the rapidly growing Guji. Though it's really a pic for Miri. You can check her out here.

3 comments:

Gewel said...

Hi Guji!

Do you like to climb curtains, too? And I think windowshades taste GOOD!

Deborah said...

Yes the weather has been strange. Lights went out again tonight... We've not had much heat though, as a matter of fact, I contemplated turning on the heat last night!

Judith said...

Cute cat!

I'm a knitter in Nebraska. Love your socks!