Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The Wrap that Genia built


Here's a photo of the Ribbed Wrap Jacket that I've been knitting for the past week. Yesterday I sat with it to figure out how much yarn I had left, and dove into the stash to find yarn for the collar.

First thing I found out was my gauge was way off. And I mean really off. So I ripped out the whole thing, swatched two other needle sizes, and have cast on once again. This was hard as I had knit the whole back and 3/4's of both sleeves. OUCH! But it is back in the works again and I'm quite happy with the gauge.

Second thing I found out was the yarn that I thought I had, I really didn't. Blast! It's still the same yarn, only same weight. Supposed to be body knit in an Aran weight yarn, collar knit inan DK weight. Collar will not be knit in DK but in Aran.

Third thing I've noticed with this knit piece is I really like what is supposed to be the wrong side better then right side. So I'm reconstructing the directions and making it suit me and my purposes and hopeing for the best. So it will be the same only quite different.



Also, I think since I'll be using the reverse side of the wrap I'll knit the collar as a lace rib. This could get interesting! Stick around and see. For those of you who have color blind monitors (like mine) the main body of the wrap is a tweed grey, the collar will be a maroon/red shade. Both yarns are Cottage Craft which is a real favorite and quite lovely to knit with.






Also for a diversion from my own stupid mistakes, I've been knitting some Jaywalkers. I'm using Reiga 4fadig which is a great sock yarn. They should be complete soon so I can cast on some red ones!

Back to the needles! Big big project on the way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Genia,
Since I am going to make the same jacket I really appreciated the information about the gauge. Coincidentally, while surfing the web, trying to find the book to purchase I found a note from Elspeth saying she did the jacket on 5's and 6's and not the 8's that were called for in the pattern.
I am sorry you had to rip but it has probably saved me a great deal of time!
I've ordered my yarn (in strange colors for me) but your colors are lovely. Good luck with this project. I am such a loose knitter that I will be doing gauge swatches for about a year.
Have fun! I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your information that you so nicely share.
Take care.

Anonymous said...

Wowza! You're flying up that jacket. Even with your frogging, you're going to blow my completion time right out of the water. Can't wait to see it in progress on Saturday...